Robbie is just a lucky little fish who was able to start as an infant and swim many days per week. He has only been taught Smart Fish Method “ROLL-TO-BACK FLOAT” skills … which transitioned into “SWIM~FLOAT~SWIM”, and then into what you see in this video as the “KICK & ROLL SWIMMING”.
He has been able to swim this far since he was 12 months old, but now his front kick is much more developed, so he swims in a straighter line.
If given the same opportunity with our any of our awesome Watersafe Swim School teachers, all Smart Fish students are capable of learning this as easily and as young as Robbie.
– If you’re happy and you know it, splash your hands. If you’re happy and you know it, splash your hands. If you’re happy and you know it, then you’ll really want to show it. If you’re happy and you know it, splash your hands.
– Lean back on the water, on the water. Lean back on the water, on the water.
– If you’re happy and you know it, kick your feet. If you’re happy and you know it, kick you’re feet. If you’re happy and you know it, then you’ll really want to show it. If youre happy and you know it kick you’re feet…
– Lean back on the water, on the water. Lean back on the water, on the water. Lean back on the water, just like a sea otter. Lean back on the water, on the water.
– EVERYONE COME BACK TO THE CASTLE.. EVERYONE PUT YOUR HANDS UP:
– If you’re happy and you know it, give High Fives. If you’re happy and you know it, give High Fives. If you’re happy and you know it, then you’ll really want to show it. If you’re happy and you know it, give High Fives. YAY !
Come join Baby Swimming Lessons, here you’ll experience the joy of seeing your children have fun as their confidence grows and they learn lifelong swimming skills.
SMART FISH METHOD @ WATERSAFE SWIM SCHOOL * Featuring Robbie: 14 1/2 months old.
* Teach them to SWIM FREELY. Then teach them to SWIM FREESTYLE.
* “Roll-Over Swimming” transitions E-FISH-CIENTLY into Freestyle
* Add “HIGH ARMS” or ” BIG ARMS” to Robbie’s “KICK &. ROLL SWIM” & it becomes Freestyle
Call (562)596-8608 for all your swimming questions and inquiries.
The Smart Fish Born-To-Swim Experience can begin with healthy babies once their belly button has healed.
– FREE PRIVATES or PARENT-TOT LESSONS are available… during their first 16 weeks – extra time for Preemies.
– Babies take comfort in wearing WETSUITS. It is easier to hold the baby in the water. They float better. The extra warmth they provide is a side benefit.
– Wrapping a PUZZLE FRAME around the infant’s shoulders like this is useful for back floating.
– Wearing this PUZZLE FRAME is also useful for submersions. It helps prevent the baby from being affected by the Moro Reflex (or Startle Reflex)
– SUBMERSIONS ARE OPTIONAL: However, please do not fear them…
– INITIALLY, we submerge our babies for only 1 to 1.5 seconds.
– Most infants will reflexively hold their breath when submerged to protect their airway & are therefore able to survive short submersions.
– WHY ? Most human babies demonstrate an innate INFANT SWIMMING or DIVING REFLEX from birth until approximately 6 months.
– THE INFANT SWIMMING is the phenomenon of human babies and toddlers reflexively moving themselves through water and changing their rate of respiration and heart rate in response to being submerged.
– DURING THE INFANT DIVING REFLEX, an infant’s heart rate decreases by 20%.
– The slowing of the heart rate and breathing is called BRADYCARDIAN RESPONSE.
– Swimming improves a baby’s coordination & balance. Both are used to swim, float , and manage breath recovery by rolling front to back & vice versa.
– The benefits of baby-friendly infant/toddler swimming are unique, uplifting and contribute to the positive development of whole child.
– Watch them swim… Watch them grow… From infants into champions.
* WARRIOR DRILL #1
Left Side ~ Right Side
* WARRIOR ROCK & ROLL
Left Side ~ Right Side
* Grade 6.8 WARRIOR FREESTYLE
Warrior Double Switch Freestyle with same-side Quick Breaths
* Grade 8 WARRIOR FREESTYLE (rarely done with students this young)
Warrior Triple Switch Freestyle with Alternate Quick Breaths
For More Baby Swimming Videos Click Here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgoTjEg8Ig9uqzZBXkUcpw
* This is a test to see if 4 year old Landon is able to do No-Breath Sticky Arms and Flutter Kicking independently. Most of his lesson involves “Hands-On” instruction with a teacher in the pool.
* Landon has improved his “No-Breath Sticky/Switch High Arms” and head positioning. Before adding Breath Recovery, he must still improve his kick so that he kicks non-stop with long legs (using his whole leg to move the water.)
* These sets of No-Breath High Arms can be done between platforms, from the teacher to the wall (or steps), across a shallow pool (standing up when needing to breathe), or across a deep pool, near the wall or lane line, so that the student is able to stop and hang on the wall or lane line to breathe, before doing the next set of No-Breath High Arms.
* Smart Fish Method students learn Freestyle AFTER mastering a confident Kick & Roll Swim with lateral breath recovery.
* STEP 1: teach proper Swim Breathing (exhale out the nose underwater, inhale one single breath through the mouth above the water.) Progress from this to lateral Quick Breath Swim-Breathing.
* STEP 2: work on kick and head positioning: SWORDFISH KICK … LONG WARRIOR KICK.
* STEP 3: Logan does a GREAT WARRIOR PUSH-OFF START off the steps. Landon was taught to begin the drill in Long Warrior Kick position: “One arm forward, one arm back – head down.”
* STEP 4: N0-Breath Sticky Arms … swim an achievable distance without a breath focusing only on Sticky/Switch High Arms, Legs, and head positioning.
* STEP 5: Review Swim-Breathing and lateral Quick Breathing
* STEP 6: Long Warrior with lateral Quick Breathing
* STEP 7 through 11… SFM Grade 8 Long Warrior Freestyle drills with arms, legs, and lateral Quick Breathing.
—-Notice that even a slight elevation of Logan’s head compromises his ability to do the drill. Youngsters have proportionately large heads, so it affects their swim posture more than an that of an adult.
— Notice that Logan began and ended his second lap of this drill in Long Warrior Kick position. “Good work Landon… you didn’t even need your teacher to remind you to do that.”
For More Baby Swimming Videos Please Visit Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SwimWatersafe
*. The Puddle Jumpers (under the hips & under the hands) can be clipped together, so that the students are more easily drilled and taught at the same time, as a semi-private.
*. Notice where the students have their right arms positioned on the puddle jumpers that are under their hips, so that they are not able to do the typical extra dog paddle pull while rotating to breathe.
* When the hips and arm are “forced” to be elevated to the surface like this, it influences the head position to be flatter, It is more comfortable to do it correctly.
*. These Grade 7/8 students have already been taught to do the first drills of this series (Swordfish Kick, Warrior Kick, & Quick Swim-Breathing. Otherwise, this drill would be more difficult.
For More Watersafe Swim School Youtube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/SwimWatersafe
There are several benefits of baby swimming which make infant swimming lessons a favorite choice of parents. Here are our top reasons why we believe that early baby swimming is a life-long benefit for the children.
1. Develop Confidence: An early introduction to water environment will help eliminate fear of water in the infants. Baby swimming lessons play an active role in increasing water confidence in the babies and young children. They also interact with peers during these swimming lessons and learn to deal with them. These kids develop a strong sense of self-worth & confidence, and they become strong contributors to the society.
2. Develop Life Saving Skills: Swimming instructors teach vital safety techniques to the kids and they grow up equipped with life-saving aquatic skills.
3. Develop Co-ordination and Strength: Swimming helps to build muscles and maintain better body coordination leading to strong body muscles, lungs and heart. It is good for improving physical and mental health of children.
4. Improve Baby’s Appetite: Swimming exercise and fun helps to make your baby hungry and improve their appetite.
5. Special Bond between Parents and Children: Swimming together deepens emotional bonds and a feeling of connection between parents and their children.
Don’t delay. Start your baby swimming lessons early for lifelong benefits! Watersafe Swim School in Los Alamitos and Seal Beach is the best place for “Parents and Young Families” to swim, learn and grow together.
Learning to swim will be a wonderful journey for your baby! Need more information? Give us a call today to schedule a meeting: (562)596-8608.
* When back floating a baby, simply hold the baby’s head allowing the body to float freely and naturally in the water. This can be accomplished with the inflatable Baby Neck Float Ring
* By only supporting the head (by hand or with the ring) to protect
against unexpected submersion, the newborn baby is able to experience “the motion of the ocean” and organically move his limbs and torso more easily than on land.
*. The Neck Float Ring is an acceptable floating device suited for babies until about 4 months, since it mimics the same hold that a parent or teacher uses to support the baby’s head.
Watersafe Swim School in Los Alamitos and Seal Beach is “the best place for parents-to-be, new parents and young families to swim, learn and grow together”. Learning to swim is wonderful journey for your baby! Need more information about improving your child’s confidence through kids swimming lessons? Contact Our Swim Instructors!
Smart Fish Method Stroke level students and pre-comp swimmers (who have mastered Warrior Freeestyle) should do a proper streamline push- off from the wall at the start of every lap.
– Horizontal posture,
– Arms reaching,
– Head down and flat.
– Strong Kick (except Breaststroke)
This needs to become a habit for them, so that when the teacher or coach explains the next drill, he will not have to remind them to streamline push-off the wall. Typically, the students will focus and remember only the last thing they are told. If that last command is the reminder to streamline off the wall, do not be surprised if all the instructions regarding the drill are completely forgotten.
Therefore, take time to simply teach the streamline and break-out to all SFM stroke school levels. Drill the Skill until it becomes a habit, so that they will not have to be reminded of this requirement in the future.
There is no need to do full laps when first teaching this skill. Notice how the coach uses the kick-stick to insure that the student streamlines long enough.
Teach one thing at a time and add-on the instruction to ahold off on recovering for a breath until after at least the first two or three pulls. Here at Waterside Swim School we teach the world renowned Smartfish Method. We offer private, group and competitive swim education to all ages. Our Method is constantly evolving with the newest technology and swim related research. Our specialty is the art of baby swimming and safety, but our Method is designed to accommodate all ages, even adults. We take great pride in what we do here and love showing the world the priceless gift of knowing how to swim.