The Smart Fish Born-To-Swim Experience can begin with healthy babies once their belly button has healed.
– FREE PRIVATES or PARENT-TOT LESSONS are available… during their first 16 weeks – extra time for Preemies.
– Babies take comfort in wearing WETSUITS. It is easier to hold the baby in the water. They float better. The extra warmth they provide is a side benefit.
– Wrapping a PUZZLE FRAME around the infant’s shoulders like this is useful for back floating.
– Wearing this PUZZLE FRAME is also useful for submersions. It helps prevent the baby from being affected by the Moro Reflex (or Startle Reflex)
– SUBMERSIONS ARE OPTIONAL: However, please do not fear them…
– INITIALLY, we submerge our babies for only 1 to 1.5 seconds.
– Most infants will reflexively hold their breath when submerged to protect their airway & are therefore able to survive short submersions.
– WHY ? Most human babies demonstrate an innate INFANT SWIMMING or DIVING REFLEX from birth until approximately 6 months.
– THE INFANT SWIMMING is the phenomenon of human babies and toddlers reflexively moving themselves through water and changing their rate of respiration and heart rate in response to being submerged.
– DURING THE INFANT DIVING REFLEX, an infant’s heart rate decreases by 20%.
– The slowing of the heart rate and breathing is called BRADYCARDIAN RESPONSE.
– Swimming improves a baby’s coordination & balance. Both are used to swim, float , and manage breath recovery by rolling front to back & vice versa.
– The benefits of baby-friendly infant/toddler swimming are unique, uplifting and contribute to the positive development of whole child.
– Watch them swim… Watch them grow… From infants into champions.