Here is a fun use for the OPEN CASTLE. There are many reasons to keep this castle from being used as a tunnel for Parent-Tot class. Let’s keep it in the pool …. Let’s figure out some fun and productive ways to use it. The Parent-Tot tunnel can be created with the dice blocks, fish picture, and the green & yellow float to hold it down on top of the dice blocks.
* IN FACT… let’s figure out activities that utilize this castle for Parent-Tot.
Keep one goggle underwater during the breath
– BEGIN TEACHING THIS A.S.A.P. Explain the need in Grade 7/8.
Insist on this posture in Advanced Grade 8 (8+) and Precompetitive Level 1 & beyond.
– As long as we are teaching them the lateral,
horizontal posture for QUICK BREATH RECOVERY, we should begin teaching this concept & requirement to breathe with an “UNDERWATER EYE.”
– Students MUST have a perfectly flat, horizontal head positioning in WARRIOR KICK POSITION, before turning for an “Underwater Eye” Quick Breath.
– RECOMMENDATION: Novice students should initially practice this with fins. Effective, powerful kicking elevates the body horizontally,
making “UNDERWATER EYE” Quick Breathing possible and easier to do.
– NOTICE: He is unable to do the “Underwater Eye” Drill correctly, if he is looking forward.
– NOTICE: She is looking down correctly in WARRIOR, so she is able to keep one goggle under the water when rotating for an “Underwater Eye” Quick Breath
There are 7 steps to doing the Swim~Float~Swim SEAL skill. Learn the first 4 steps in Grade 1 & 2:
– STEP 1: LAUNCH
– STEP 2: SWIM
– STEP 3: ROLL-OVER FRONT TO BACK
– STEP 4: BACK FLOAT
Then learn the last 3 steps in Grade 3:
– STEP 5: ROLL-OVER BACK TO FRONT
– STEP 6: SWIM
– STEP 7: LAND
Then link all 7 steps together.
When they only need assistance in the linking of the skills and when they are not crying about swim lessons (most of the time)… then, they can be promoted to GRADE 4.
* This video describes tips to teaching the SEA LION skill
– Dolly Demo, Roll Play
– Tipping Point
– Empower them to finish what they initiate
– Be as invisible in your assistance as possible
– Encourage them
– Leg Twist
– Sea Lion Spin
*. REMEMBER: The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say “The children are now working as if I did not exist.” – Maria Montessori