The yellow band is being used to keep the student’s lead arm extended during breath recovery.
– Attaching the head to the arm with the yellow band does not allow the separate rotation of the head & causes the student to roll to her back and stall or scissor her kick.
– However, SFM 6.0 Breath Recovery for Freestyle is now being taught with Warrior positioning & Quick Breathing: One arm extended (next to the head) & one arm down by the leg.
– Be sure to FIRST teach kids to blow of their nose… It is difficult for them to progress to efficient freestyle until they learn that valuable skill.
– Then teach QUICK SWIM BREATHING: Exhale out the nose underwater… but not for the entire time… then inhale only once above the water.
– Teach flat kicking throughout the entire drill & barely rotate the head for ONE QUICK INHALE AFTER EXHALING THROUGH THE NOSE UNDERWATER.
– We teach a minimal rotation of the head, separate from the body, while one goggle stays under the water, during the quick inhale.
– Notice the Level 2 swimmer in the NOVA STAR CLUB… who is doing a SEGMENTED WARRIOR FREESTYLE with Quick Breath and Quick Warrior.
– Please refer to other WARRIOR DRILL #1 videos posted on this YouTube channel to understand the NEW SFM 6.0 concepts and drills to teach Freestyle with Quick Breathing.
– ON OUR OWN….we came up with the idea of teaching Breath Recovery using a drill we call: “WARRIOR DRILL #1” Kicking in Warrior Position (as in Yoga) with Quick Breathing while only rotating the head to breathe and not the whole body.
– HOWEVER… in watching swim videos on the web, we are finding that, though the name we use is original, the actual drill is used by progressive swim coaches and elite swimmers.
– CHECK OUT THIS SEGMENT FROM “SWIM LABS”
– Videos like the one from SWIM LABS add credibility to what we teach. It is good to know that THE SMART FISH METHOD is on the right track. PLEASE, keep up with and use all the ideas we share through our You-Tubes and SFM Training Newsletters.