This student is 27 months old.
– We need to teach the students HOW TO PLAY at the stairs, without the castles.
– We can still work on their skills like BACK KICKING with their hands on their belly.,
– It means we must accept their need and decision to sit-up from a back float on occasion, rather than expecting them to always roll-over laterally.
– It is good for students to experience and deal with other kids in the step area. This is realistic. Kids need to learn how to swim around other kids in the play area and not resort to grabbing on them for support.
– They only need to hold their tummy when they kick. When they hold their tummy, it makes them ONLY kick. It keeps them from using their hands for pull as support. When they pull on their back, they tend to dilute their kick. It compromises their balance AND kick.
– “I am trying to teach her how to play. There are times when it is valuable and necessary for them to sit-up from a back float. She is ready to learn to roll-over and to sit-up.”